Serialization

Jul 3, 2010 at 9:12 PM

Following on from where I've asked before about custom layers.

I'm planning on allowing a user to construct multiple overlays that all overlap each other. I then want them to be able to close down the app, and reload it, opening up the existing overlays. Fairly easy to do with serialization I believe but it seems the classes I'd expect to do this sort of thing (e.g. GMapOverlay) aren't currently marked as serializable? Is there a reason for this?

Coordinator
Jul 3, 2010 at 9:22 PM

you can create your own:

[serialize...] class MyLayer : GMapOverlay { ... }

Jul 3, 2010 at 9:37 PM

I believe though that all the base classes need to be serializable too? So actually it would need to be like

[Serializable]

class MyLayer : GMapOverlay {}

[Serializable]

class GMapOverlay{}

Coordinator
Jul 3, 2010 at 9:49 PM

does it work?

Jul 5, 2010 at 11:49 AM
Edited Jul 5, 2010 at 11:51 AM
radioman, I've not had a chance to use GMap.Net to do this. But if you try the following example you'll see it fail with the sort of error I'd expected "Type 'ConsoleApplication1.A' in Assembly 'ConsoleApplication1, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' is not marked as serializable.". This means that overlays and markers need to be serializable for layer saving/loading.

using System;
using System.IO;
using System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary;

namespace ConsoleApplication1
{
class Program
{
static void Main(string[] args)
{
B b = new B() { Name = "Test", AnotherName = "AnotherTest" };

MemoryStream ms = new MemoryStream();
BinaryFormatter bf = new BinaryFormatter();
bf.Serialize(ms, b);
}
}

public class A
{
public String Name { get; set; }
}

[Serializable]
public class B : A
{
public String AnotherName { get; set; }
}
}

Coordinator
Jul 5, 2010 at 12:07 PM

it's open source, you can make changes anytime, anywhere ;}

Jul 6, 2010 at 11:13 AM
Do I need to request to join the project to make changes?
Jul 6, 2010 at 11:41 AM
Hmm tried connecting to " https://hg01.codeplex.com/greatmaps" and tried creating a fork and connecting to it "https://hg01.codeplex.com/forks/ianwright83/serializableclasses" but I get an error each time :( The OPTIONS response did not include the requested activity-collection-set. this often means that the URL is not WebDAV-enabled.
Coordinator
Jul 6, 2010 at 12:53 PM

i see your fork, but there is no changes in it, please commit and push it

Jul 6, 2010 at 4:30 PM
radioman, unfortunately I can't make any changes... I can't actually get the source when I try, I get an error. "The OPTIONS response did not include the requested activity-collection-set. this often means that the URL is not WebDAV-enabled."
Coordinator
Jul 6, 2010 at 4:42 PM

works just perfect for me