Google Maps API Key

Topics: General
Nov 17, 2010 at 6:52 AM

Hi,

Im new to GMap and testing it for a few days.

So, in order to include it in my commercial software, each of my customers, including myself, need to obtain a Google Maps API Key?

Thank you

Coordinator
Nov 17, 2010 at 7:05 AM

not exactly, google maps api key is required just to get fresh geocoding limit, so you do not share the default one. But to use google/bing maps itself in commercial app you need to get their business plan or make a custom deal. Anyhow, if you use openstreetmap, you can go free. So it depends on what do you use.

Nov 17, 2010 at 8:45 AM

Hi radioman,

please explain me this.

1. Use GMap.NET in commercial software need Google MAPS API key?

2. If True, then every customer need a unique key, or I must obtain a key and include it in the software?

Thank you for your support

Coordinator
Nov 17, 2010 at 9:48 AM

1. depends what type of map do you use, as i've said

2. depends if total sum of all requests from all customers reach the key limit

"Is there a limit to the number of geocode requests I can submit?

If more than 2,500 geocode requests in a 24 hour period are received from a single IP address, or geocode requests are submitted from a single IP address at too fast a rate, the Google Maps API geocoder will begin responding with a status code of 620. If excessive geocoder usage continues, access to the Google Maps API geocoder from this IP address may be blocked permanently. 

When using one of the Maps API geocoding classes, requests are made by the user's web browser and count against the quota for the user's IP address. This means that excessive usage on the part of one user will not impact other users of your site. However, if many users access the Google Maps APIs through a single proxy, they will share the quota of the IP address of the proxy.

When geocoder requests are made using the Geocoding Web Service , they count against the quota for the IP address of the system making the HTTP request. If you need to submit a very large set of addresses to the Geocoding Web Service to cache for later use, you should consider Google Maps API Premier, which provides a separate batch geocoding quota for this purpose."

http://code.google.com/intl/lt-LT/apis/maps/faq.html#geocoder_limit 

Nov 17, 2010 at 9:56 AM

ok,

which map types are free to use?

Coordinator
Nov 17, 2010 at 10:01 AM

the answer is: it depends, OpenStreetMap is without any restrictions, google want that your app would be "publicly accessible", You should look at each providers FAQ to get details.

"Can I use Google Maps in my non-Web application? 

Yes, the Google Maps APIs can now be used in Desktop applications, provided that they adhere to the other restrictions of the Terms of Service. Note that in order for a desktop application to be deemed "publicly accessible", there must be a publicly accessible webpage from which it can be downloaded. See Section 7.1c(http://code.google.com/intl/en-US/apis/maps/terms.html#section_7_1) of the Terms of Service for more information."

Nov 17, 2010 at 10:04 AM

Thank you for your support

Nov 17, 2010 at 10:32 AM

Can I change-set the key using  GMaps.Instance.GoogleMapsAPIKey ?

Coordinator
Nov 17, 2010 at 10:40 AM

yes