Bing Maps and authentication method

Topics: Feature Requests
Jun 29, 2011 at 9:32 AM

The map control uses for Bing Maps currently a token for authentication. This authentication method will be retired on 30 March 2012 (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc980937.aspx).

Microsoft advices for new applications to use the Bing Maps Key. This Key must be part of the request url (?key=). Currently the token is part of the request url.

Are there plans to support this new authentication method in the map control?

Coordinator
Jun 29, 2011 at 10:32 AM

ok

Coordinator
Jan 3, 2015 at 6:44 PM
done ;}
Marked as answer by radioman on 1/3/2015 at 11:44 AM
Mar 10, 2015 at 12:17 PM
I am moving away from the GOOGLE Map provider (due to Licensing issues with Google - which is to be expected) to the BING Map Provider instead.

So far all is well. ( I am in the UK). I am doing a simple test - Enter a start postcode into a textbox, and a End postcode into another, and submitting the postcodes to calculate the route and plot it on a Map, and then use the output to show the distance and time in the Output textbox.

With the Google Map Provider the NAME property gives me the Given Distance in Miles + Time taken.

rMapRoute = GMap.NET.MapProviders.GoogleMapProvider.Instance.GetRoute(ptStart, ptEnd, False, False, 15)
g_Route = New GMapRoute(rMapRoute.Points, "RouteData")
Me.txtInfo.Text = rMapRoute.Name ' Gives Miles + Time taken

However in the BING MapProvider the NAME property lists all the points. The Distance Property lists the Distance in Km which is OK because I can convert this to Miles, but no Time taken is provided.

What is the general consensus here? Which Provider other than Google provides a response that gives Distance + Time?