Free Map Tile Providers

Topics: Help
Nov 2, 2011 at 12:24 PM

I am currently using the GMap dlls in application intended for commercial and enterprise use.

Are there any map providers that do not require a paid licence ?

There is Open Street maps, but i would also like one that also provides satellite view.

Thank you for any help you can provide 

Coordinator
Nov 2, 2011 at 1:29 PM

doubtfully.. but i'm not sure

Nov 2, 2011 at 1:38 PM

If i understood correctly from different threads, google maps can't be used since the GMap .NET component isn't using Google APIs directly.

Would you know if it is possible to obtain a licence say for Bing and still use the control ?

In other words , is the legal licensing problem related to the control itself or just the tile source?

That is if we obtain a licence from Microsoft to use Bing maps, there wouldn't be a problem in using your control to access the tile information.

Coordinator
Nov 2, 2011 at 1:49 PM

i guess each tile provider have it's own rules, so you have o ask them directly

Nov 3, 2011 at 1:58 PM

thank you for the replies 

I have been in contaact with Microsoft regarding license for there service.

I was wondering what your control uses from the Bing services , that is are you only downloading Map tile images from them or do u also use there services for calculations and locations

thank you for the help

Coordinator
Nov 3, 2011 at 2:06 PM

for bing, only tiles

May 2, 2012 at 2:49 PM

I am planning to use gMap + Bing in a commercial application, and pay for Bing. I understand "contact them to find out their terms" but they won't answer directly if it is permissible to use gMap. I think I have to figure it out myself. So... from this web page (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd877180.aspx) does the way gMap consumes Bing tiles fit any of those APIs? Or is it something else entirely?

Once we get our own Bing license key, how do we introduce it into gMap?

gMaps is indeed GREAT software!  We just want to stay within the rules when we use it.

Thanks

Jeff

Coordinator
May 2, 2012 at 3:37 PM

control downloads tiles directly from their servers, just like browser, and if you have your ClientKey, set:  GMapProviders.BingMap.ClientKey = "xxx";