cache-levels and preloading

Topics: General
Feb 29, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Hi all,

In my program, while moving along a predefined path for the first time i see blank tiles (only for a second or 2) because they are not loaded yet. 
I'm looking for a way to avoid this. 
When I move along the path in the opposite direction it doesn't happen.

A while ago Radiomen stated the following:

"to be precise there are 5 levels of caching:

1. decompressed raw bitmap tiles, in memory
  2. compressed tiles in their native format, in memory
  3. local sqlite/ce databse on your hdd
  4. [optional] second cache in LAN, mysql/mssql
  5. global servers, google/big/etc..."

I presume that when i move back, the tiles are still in the first (or second?) cache level.

is there a way to 'preload' a part (or as much as possible) from local sqllite-db in to the machine's memory?

And then another question: If the pre-allocated space from the database (250mb) is full, will it expand or just delete tiles, and, if so, which tiles would that be?

thx in advance

Coordinator
Feb 29, 2012 at 7:21 AM
  • there is no 'preloading' as you scroll the map new tiles are loaded into memory and old/invisible tiles are unloaded, though it would be possible to load more but that would eat your memory very quickly because raw bitmaps are quite huge, anyway there is always a space for improvements...
  • local cache has very high limit ~ 2TB, so no tiles are deleted, unless you manually delete them, Map.Manager.PrimaryCache.DeleteOlderThan
Mar 1, 2012 at 9:28 AM

thx for your quick reply. 

That was how i would resolve my issue, but just to be clear: you can think of no way to avoid displaying those 'empty' tiles while moving along a predefined path?

thx in advance

Coordinator
Mar 1, 2012 at 11:14 AM

..it's complicated...

Mar 5, 2012 at 6:55 AM

How about (pre)loading a known set of (say 4x3) tiles for a given zoom into decompressed raw bitmap tiles? Is it possible to force preload into decompressed raw tiles of tiles in view for 1 zoom level above and below current level?

Coordinator
Mar 5, 2012 at 7:37 AM

it's possible, everything is possible ;}

Mar 5, 2012 at 8:14 AM

Say I have LevelsKeepInMemory = 7 and current Zoom = 12. I want to decompress tiles for levels 11 and 13. I can calculate tiles in view at each of those zoom and create RectLatLng for area in view at each zoom. I can then call Instance.GetImageFrom() but this only loads from DB to compressed tile in memory.

Can you point to a similar method to load a tile into decompressed raw bitmap in RAM?

Coordinator
Mar 5, 2012 at 8:22 AM

...try it yourself, can't help much here

Mar 5, 2012 at 9:56 AM
gvenkat_00 wrote:

How about (pre)loading a known set of (say 4x3) tiles for a given zoom into decompressed raw bitmap tiles? Is it possible to force preload into decompressed raw tiles of tiles in view for 1 zoom level above and below current level?

That's exactly what i am trying to do. Do you have any idea how i could do this? I just don't know where to begin. 

Mar 5, 2012 at 10:24 AM

Am i looking at the right page?
http://greatmaps.codeplex.com/SourceControl/changeset/view/0750e7861198#GMap.NET.Core%2fGMap.NET.CacheProviders%2fMemoryCache.cs

Mar 5, 2012 at 2:45 PM

Hi, just implemented the last version (beta) of the dll's, nice work Radioman.
The empty/blank tiles are often replaced with a part of a tile from a lower zoom-level, which makes the use of preloading in ram ALMOST unnecessary. Nice! 
I also screwed a bit with:
  MainMap.Manager.MemoryCache.Capacity = 100; 

Coordinator
Mar 5, 2012 at 2:58 PM

yes, lower zoom-level tiles are reused while loading current level, at least for mercator projection