Prefetch whole country

Topics: General, Help
Aug 6, 2013 at 7:35 AM
Hello everybody,

I'm working on a project where I want to use the gmap.net control to visualize GPS-data of a vehicle on a windows 7 tablet device. As during operation no internet connection will be available, I need to cache the map data somehow.
Now I'm wondering what would be the best solution. Is the sqlite database powerful enough to handle the image data of a whole (small) country like e.g. Belgium? I have tried to prefetch the tiles with the demo program, but it would last an eternity with the given speed to get into zoom level 19. Also I think that would be quite a bunch of data...
Has anybody a solution for that?
As an alternative I think about installing a renderer (like mapnik) and a database with vector information and set this combination as a custom server for the gmap.net control. Has anybody done that before and can give me some advice?
Thanks in advance!
Coordinator
Aug 6, 2013 at 7:55 AM
Edited Aug 6, 2013 at 8:02 AM
...about caching small country, e.g. Lithuania, i have 4 different types of maps with levels 1-8(maps.lt) and 1-14(openstreetmap.org)), and it's ~1GB. It's about few hours of prefetching. And database is on my htc mobile sd card, works quite well.

It covers even small roads, but if you need higher zoom levels, there would be a lot more data, 10GB - 100GB... O.O ;}

local geoserver would solve that issue.
Coordinator
Aug 6, 2013 at 8:11 AM
Aug 6, 2013 at 5:59 PM
Hey radioman,

first thanks a lot for that great piece of code you delivered with greatmaps.net! And even more for the support you're giving here!
After reading through your links I think GeoServer is perfect for me! I'll try to add it as a custom server to greatmaps.net as it has done before, should work out fine!

Regards
Dec 30, 2013 at 5:35 PM
Hey rhopi,

were you able to have GeoServer and Gmap.net to work together locally and offline ? I'm trying to download ".osm" maps from OpenStreetMap and use it locally. do you think it is possible to add .OSM to GeoServer and have it working with GMap.net ? How was the performnace ?

thank you