GMap for Windows Mobile

Mar 19, 2009 at 6:30 AM
Hi radioman,

I found GMap.NET.WindowsMobile in Trunk folder, i opened that program but here two dlls are missing GMap.NET.Core.dll, GMap.NET.WindowsMobile.dll. So provide information from where i will download these two dlls.....

Thanks & Regards
         Asif
Mar 19, 2009 at 8:10 AM
you need to create the dll´s manually . they are located in the trunk folder gmap.net.core and gmap.net.windowsmobile.

ronny
Mar 19, 2009 at 10:38 AM
disable mobile project, and build
Mar 20, 2009 at 6:49 AM
Hi radioman,

First of all thans for u r reply I executed the mobile project but i am getting the following error, and can u explain me how can i disable mobile project.

Error 2 The imported project "C:\Microsoft.CSharp.targets" was not found. Confirm that the path in the <Import> declaration is correct, and that the file exists on disk. C:\Documents and Settings\Asif\Desktop\GMap\Trunk\GMap.NET.Core\GMap.NET.Core.csproj 85 11 Demo.WindowsMobile

Thanks & Regards
Asif
Apr 21, 2009 at 6:57 AM
Hi radioman,

I developed an application by using u r GMapNET.dll, when ever i reload the map the memory size is increasing and after some time my system will struck due to insufficient memory. Can u give some suggestions regrading this issue..... my configuration is

intel pentium 4 3.0Ghz
512MB Ram.

Regards
Asif
Apr 21, 2009 at 9:22 AM
are you using latest version?
Apr 21, 2009 at 11:51 AM
Edited Apr 21, 2009 at 12:39 PM
Hi radioman,

I am using GMap dll version 1.1.3.7 released on 24th Jan 09. Now i downloaded the updated version.

Regards
Asif
Apr 21, 2009 at 12:12 PM
?
May 20, 2009 at 10:03 AM

Hi radioman,

I build the Demo.WindowsMobile project but it displays one error. i.e,

The type "System.Windows.Forms.UserControl" is defined in an assembly that is not referenced. You must add a reference to assembly "System.Windows.Forms, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089'.

So Guide me regarding this issue.

Thanks & Regards

Asif

May 20, 2009 at 11:43 AM

mobile version is in testing mode so i can't help you, but you can help the project if you make some things working ;}

May 20, 2009 at 11:53 AM

Hi radioman,

Thanks for your reply, i am also trying, if i executed then surely i will tel u.

Thanks & Regards

Asif

Aug 16, 2009 at 7:06 AM
Edited Aug 16, 2009 at 8:03 PM

Hello

What is the status with GMap.NET.WindowsMobile? Has anyone compiled and executed the code on a windowsmobile device? I downloaded what I found in the trunk and I get the feeling that it's quite far away from a running version?

Best Regards

Johan

Aug 16, 2009 at 3:42 PM

yes, its definitely quite far away ;}

Aug 16, 2009 at 8:27 PM

OK, if you haven't had the Windows Mobile platform in mind when you build GMap.NET I guess there is a lot of work to port everything. As I know the dotnet version for the mobile device only have a subset of functions compared to the standard version. What I am looking for is some code/component that I can use to show Google maps in my mobile and probably I only need a smaller part of what you have built for big windows.

I moved all codes to Windows Mobile environment and I get like 2500 compiler errors... If I try to focus on the functions I need and comments the rest, would it be a good idea for you as well?

Is the use of Google maps with this api/ architecture ok related to licenses (if the user us non commercial and so on)?

br

Johan

Aug 16, 2009 at 8:37 PM

perfect idea, i just do not have time for maintaining all 3 versions at once

p.s. i do not care about licenses much really ;} if you do, use Maptype of openstreetmap

Aug 16, 2009 at 8:50 PM

I must ask you anyway. Do you know if the Google stamp in the lower left corner is what google require? That's my guess but I’m not sure.

/Johan

Aug 16, 2009 at 9:01 PM

actualy i do not know ;} ..you can ask google for that

Aug 17, 2009 at 2:47 AM

I have a decent amount of mobile experience (5+ years) and decided to take a look at doing this a while ago - put simply, porting the code to Compact Framework simply is not going to happen without re-writing it with CF in mind.

sure you can re-engineer classes that dont exist on CF (background worker for example in the tile aquisition logic) but the preformance is going to suck.

if somebody ever wants to bend GM4DN to work on CF here are some real world things you need to think about.

any person contemplating doing this needs to realize that this is essensually an ocassionally connected application, so you need to have an 'offline tile store' (for when you cant go online). you may also need to consider bad connections (downloading a tile over a bad wireless or cell connection).

you need to have a 'memory tile store' - ie keep some tiles in memory. the reason behind this one is because it can be an expensive operation to read tiles into memory from say a CF card or even worse a database on a cf card - each time the tile canvas moves around (ie each time you need to draw the canvas).

you need to dream up a way to queue and aquire tiles (yes memory and offline tiles can be aquired on the same thread) but remote tiles need to be async. pesronally I would do this by having a async tile aquisition class that had a queue and accepted an interface that preformed the operation (say using the providers http service or some other custom service provider, mabye web-service - hell theroritally you should be able to plug in any way to aquire a tile.)

if you want to make this more usefull on all platforms you need to think of a way to handle input in a way that makes sense for the platform that is on.

- on non-touch windows there is the mouse - this is easy,

- on multi-touch windows you need to handle the new input approprately

- on single-touch gesture-aware mobile (CF 6.5) you should take advantage of gestures (warning handling WM_GESTURE is going to be a challenge for whoever does it)

- on multi-touch gesture-aware mobile (CF 7.0) you should *theroritically* need to handle rotating the map (note CF 7.0 doesnt exist yet and I am only contemplating that it would have multi-touch - but if MS wants to compete in the device space it needs to catch up with apple in this reguard).

now you need to dream up an interface that your *core* api is going to accept, and have specalized 'input managers' handle calling the core api in such a way that makes sence for the platform the manager is on.

a lot of the things you need to do have already been done in GM4DN - now it is a matter of re-engenerring it in such a way so that 99% of the code is completely shared, and that 100% of the code is pluggable so you can replace bits as you need to depending on the platform you are on.

im not trying to put anybody off but it would be a decent chunk of work to make this usefull on CF but certanly not insermountable.

anyhow, congrats radioman on building a great library its requires a decent amount of time and effort to keep building momentium and momentium is something this project has.

Dec 23, 2009 at 8:22 PM

on progress:

more info http://greatmaps.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=71318 

Mar 8, 2010 at 7:25 AM
radioman wrote:

on progress:

more info http://greatmaps.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=71318 

Hi radioman,

Very Good Afternoon (India Time) Nice work, Improved a lot. I downloaded the sample code for displaying the google map on windows mobile. but it is not displaying the map. can you send some guidelines for displaying google or yahoo or osm map on wm?

Regards

Asif

Mar 8, 2010 at 8:17 AM

can you post debug trace?